On September 10th, World Suicide Prevention Day sheds light on the urgency of mental health support. Brokers, as key advisors, can profoundly impact well-being by integrating mental health assistance into benefits packages. With suicide being the 11th biggest contributor to deaths each year it is vital to give your clients the opportunity to offer life-saving preventative care to their employees. Here are some ways to encourage your clients to do so.
1. Inclusive Coverage: Advocate for comprehensive mental health coverage in benefits packages. This encompasses therapy, counseling, and psychiatric services for the client and their family.
2. EAPs: Suggest Employee Assistance Programs providing confidential counseling for employees and families, ensuring timely support. This will cover both short- and long-term solutions to mental health issues.
3. Wellness Initiatives: Encourage clients to initiate mental health-focused programs. Workshops and resources can educate about stress management and mindfulness therefore allowing companies to break down the stigma of asking for help.
4. Telehealth Services: Highlight remote access to mental health professionals through telehealth, bridging accessibility gaps and the power of anonymity through it.
5. Mental Health Days: Recommend incorporating paid mental health days, acknowledging their significance.
6. Stress Reduction: Propose stress-relief benefits like gym memberships or meditation apps for a more positive work environment.
7. Open Dialogue: Urge clients to nurture open conversations around mental health to eradicate stigma.
As World Suicide Prevention Day reminds us of mental health’s vital role, brokers can revolutionize benefits packages. By prioritizing mental health support, we create workplaces that champion well-being and give way to those struggling to seek help. This proactive approach can shape a brighter future by embracing mental health as a needed benefit.
If you or someone you know is struggling or in crisis, help is available. Call or text 988 or chat 988lifeline.org